join the ruxley manor team
Ruxley Manor is more than just a Garden Centre. It’s a destination for the local community, a meeting place for families and friends, an event venue for entertainment, a place for a hearty meal or a slice of cake and a coffee. We provide everything you could want under one roof.
As an award winning family business we strive to create a family environment amongst all our team members and in turn extend this to all of our customers. We work hard, constantly improve, help each other and create an amazing retail experience for everyone that visits us or attends one of our popular events. With 100 years experience behind us, we’d love you to join our team and make the next 100 years even better.
Please find our current roles listed below with more information. Even if there is nothing suitable for you at this time please feel free to apply with your CV via our online application form.Apply Now
This is a permanent full time position working 4 days a week, 8am – 5pm.
Job Title: Maintenance Supervisor
Reports To: General Manager
To ensure the Garden Centre, Children’s Nurseries and surrounding grounds are well kept and in working order. To support the Retail Team with events and change of seasons which require renovations of existing customer spaces.
- Inspect facilities periodically to determine problems and necessary maintenance.
- Inspect and maintain building systems (heating, ventilation, plumbing etc.)
- Performing preventative maintenance.
- Handling basic repairs and maintenance.
- Overseeing contractors when professional repairs are necessary.
- Diagnosing mechanical issues and correcting them.
- Monitor inventory of materials and equipment.
- Participate in coordination and implementation of projects (e.g. event builds, shop floor renovations etc).
- Oversee maintenance contracts and ensure works are carried out and contracts are renewed at the best price.
Required qualifications & experience
- Proven maintenance experience.
- Related degree from a technical college.
- Skilled in the use of hand and power tools.
- Ability to use common tools such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, and wrenches.
- Experience with precision measuring instruments or electronic testing devices.
- Experience performing routine maintenance.
Preferred qualifications & experience
- Ability to take apart machines, equipment, or devices to remove and replace defective parts.
- Experience in carpentry (2 years).
- Experience in plumbing (2 years).
- Strong organizational and follow up skills.
- Eye for detail.
- Must be confident, motivated, and able to work independently
- Must have a pleasant, helpful, and optimistic attitude and ability to form strong working relationships across a variety of business functions.
- Ability to work as a valuable team member actively supporting others and having a flexible can-do attitude.
- Arrive for work on time, ready to begin work or attend team meetings at the agreed times.
- Take pride in your appearance, ensuring uniform is correct as per the Dress Code Policy.
- Be happy and prepared to move between departments, as the needs of the business require.
- Take responsibility for your own Health & Safety and the Health & Safety of those around you.
- ‘Wow’ our customers by connecting with, laughing with, and making them smile!
- Treat everyone with respect.
- Work as one team across the Ruxley family.
- Make a difference every day.
We are looking for a competent receptionist to manage our phone switchboard, greet and assist visitors and assist with office administrator duties.
Being the first point of contact for all customers queries over the phone. Assisting customers as much as possible before transferring the call.
Greeting and assisting visitors.
Assisting with office duties such as stationery orders, topping up office supplies and filing.
Assisting Managers with adhoc administrative tasks.
Issuing and managing the stock of company uniform.
Assisting the HR Manager with managing recruitment queries and new applicants.
This is a part time role working Monday – Friday, 1:30pm – 5:30pm.
Previous experience in a similar role is ideal, however not essential.
Candidates must have a good telephone manner and exceptional communication in verbal and written English.
Candidates must be computer literate and be able to use Outlook and Excel.
We are a family business and we like to make sure that every colleague feels as though they are a part of the ‘Ruxley’ family. Our team is, without doubt, our most important asset and therefore, we like to make sure that Ruxley is an enjoyable and rewarding place to work.
A number of our colleagues have been with us for many years and have a real passion for the products that they sell and the service that they provide and it is this passion that drives our customer service and ensures that Ruxley is the destination of choice for many of our customers.
Our business has changed considerably over the years and therefore, no matter which area of the business you join, you will find that there will be plenty of opportunities to learn new skills. After all, there can’t be many businesses that have the variety of products that we do, from plants to chickens, from garden furniture to reptiles and from delicious food to clothing and that doesn’t account for our calendar of events, including the grotto and ice rink! Therefore, there will always be the opportunity to develop a rewarding career at Ruxley.
We believe that people should be rewarded for their efforts and high performance and we encourage everyone to offer their contributions.
- 15% discount at Ruxley for the first year of employment
- 25% discount at Ruxley after completion of the first year’s employment
- Bonuses for 100% attendance
- Extra holiday for long service
- Complimentary lunch for 2 on your birthday in The Mulberry Tree Restaurant
- Annual free ice-skating session for the family at Christmas
- Annual Christmas party
- Thorough induction procedure
- Ongoing learning opportunities, including e-learning courses with over 50 modules
- Enjoyable working environment
Opportunity to get involved in raising money for our nominated charity (past challenges have included the 3 Peaks in 24 hours and a 26 mile walk from Ruxley to Demelza Children’s Hospice in Sittingbourne).
We are always looking for like minded people to join our business, whether it is a seasonal position over spring or Christmas, part-time employment or a full time position and so if there aren’t any positions advertised, feel free to send your CV in to our HR Manager, Bethany Jeffreys at email@example.com or call her on 020 8300 0084.
We can only welcome applications from students who are of compulsory school leaving age and over.